The Hollow One-Name Study
The aim of the study is to collect references to the name Hollow and variants of it worldwide. The variants such as Hallo, Hallow, Holla, Hollaw, Hollah, Hollowe. I have excluded Hollows as I don't think this name has the same Cornish origins. I based this on the following:
In 1890 Henry Brougham Guppy published
his "Homes of Family Names in Great Britain",(Harrison 1890).
Guppy made a particular study of the names of farmers, whom he described as 'the most stay-at-home class of the country'. and he discovered that in each county their surnames fell into groups:
1. General - names found all over the country.
2. Common - names found in 20-29 counties
3. Regional - names found in 10-19 counties
4. District - names found in 4-9 counties
5. County - names found in 2-3 counties
6. Peculiar - names found mainly in one county only.
The surname Hollow appears in the peculiar to one county list for Cornwall.
This information came from
The Guiness Book of Names, Leslie Dunkling, Guiness Publishing Ltd. 5th
I propose to use the data I collect to build
up family trees and to link them together as much as possible. I also want
to collect the family history of the different groups of Hollow. The study
will include research into the origin of the name Hollow and its distribution
across the world.
In developing the Hollow One Name Study I intend to:
- Keep a central record of Hollow data
- Provide support for Hollow researchers by, providing information from the database and putting people in touch with others who are researching the same line
- Publish the Hollow database on the internet (The material on the internet will not contain information about people who are living or who were born after 1920).
- Analyse the information from different sources to make links between families
- Let people know where the sources of data are
- Circulate a newsletter amongst Hollow researchers or other interested people
- Develop a directory of Hollow researchers
- Study the worldwide distribution of Hollow.
- Research the origin of the Hollow name.
- Collect photographs, especially digital, of Hollows, their relatives and places linked to the Hollow name.
Copyright 2018 Colin Hollow
Last Modified : 8 August 2018